This blog began with 16 letters from people from Brindi's world - who know and like her, including her groomer, vet, kennel owner, neighbors with kids, neighbors with dogs, and friends of Brindi's owner. It is growing fast with letters from supporters near and far. See FREE BRINDI for a blog kept by Brindi's best friend, Francesca Rogier. Best friends are forever!!

Friday, August 8, 2008

Chair of Physics at Dalhousie


July 26, 2008

Andrea Macdonald
Manager of Animal Services and Taxi and Limousine Services
Halifax Region Police
PO Box 1749
Halifax, NS B3J 3A5


Dear Andrea Macdonald,

I’m writing on behalf of Brindi, a dog who has been apprehended by your officers last Thursday from the home of Francesca Rogier in E. Chezzetcook to put the dog down. I have met this dog many times, my dog has played with her, and even “stolen” a bone from her in her yard and Brindi has always been a friendly and non-aggressive dog. As you are certainly aware being in your position as Animal Services Field Operation Supervisor, dogs have to establish a rank between them and mentally healthy dogs do it in a way where the other dog involved is never seriously hurt.

We humans also try to establish some ranking, but some do it in more subtly cruel ways. If someone thinks a certain foreign female really does not belong in our Chezzetcook, they might try to make her feel unwelcome by utilizing a By-Law to have her dog taken away and put down. I think this may be a human equivalent for establishing social ranking.

Do not get me wrong: I have no problems if a dog attacks children or any humans to have a very strong response from the law enforcement, but a ranking discourse between dogs is natural behavior. As I said before I do know Brindi reasonably well. I have had dogs all my life and Brindi is certainly a well-tempered dog. I had my kids play with her without any worries and I witnessed how her owner pulled about ten porcupine quills out of Brindis snout. Any inherently aggressive dog would never tolerate this! If you have any questions, please feel free to call me.

I am also willing to appear at a hearing and be interviewed about Brindi.

Sincerely yours,

Harm Hinrich Rotermund, Ph. D.
George Munro Professor of Physics & Chair
Department of Physics and Atmospheric Science, Dalhousie University
Halifax, NS B3H 3J5 Canada
Tel. (902) 494 2342
Fax. (902) 494 5191
Email: harm.rotermund@dal.ca
Internet page: http://www.physics.dal.ca/~hrotermund/

No comments: